O transporte de alguns tipos de carga só é possiveis durante o inverno, pois o custo aumentaria consideravelmente durante o verao, tornando-se as vezes impraticavel.
E de quebra ainda dá pra assistir auroras boreais ;)
STATISTICS FOR THE CURIOUS................
- The longest and most expensive ice road runs 567 kilometers from Tibbitt Lake, 70 kilometers east of Yellowknife, to Echo Bay's Lupin Mine, the Ekati diamond mine and the Diavik diamond mine.
- The ice road is managed by the Tibbitt to Contwoyto Winter Road Joint Venture, a partnership between BHP Billiton, Diavik Diamond Mines and Echo Bay Mines (a subsidiary of Kinross Gold Corporation).
- Nuna Logistics opens and maintains the road, which is usually open February to March. SecureCheck provides security for the road.
- The road's annual price tag is about $10 million.
- A one-way trip to Lupin mine takes about 20 hours. Average ice thickness is usually about 125 centimeters.
( For those of you not into Metric, 125 centimetres = 49 1/5 inches, or just over 4 feet )
Para maiores detalhes... procurem no e-mule por "Ice Road Truckers.avi" (video de 418mb)